St. Martin's Church
Show all 3 images
St. Martin's Church was originally a Romanesque church built in the 8th century and conse-crated in 769 AD. It was named after St. Martin, Bishop of Tours. The church was largely destroyed during the great fire of 1464. It was rebuilt in late Gothic style and reused parts of its Carolingian predecessor. Construction was completed in 1491 and it is the largest late-Gothic building in Graubünden. This church in the Old Town was a centre and base for the Reformation in Chur from 1523. Since 1919, the three glass windows by artist Augusto Giacometti have been a special feature of this church. They depict the Christmas story.
Responsible for this content Chur Tourismus.