Former Post Office Building
Show all 13 images
The Swiss saying, “The post is here”, is underscored architecturally in Chur in a striking fashion. The post office building, designed by architects Jean Béguin and Theodor Gohl, was constructed between 1902 and 1904 and is the largest Neo-Renaissance edifice in the city. The fact that it also bears a resemblance to other post office buildings in Switzerland is no coincidence; at that time, the so-called “Federal Renaissance” was strongly promoted by the Swiss government. The imposing appearance of the building is further enhanced by the intricate decoration on the façades and the figures on the roof by Geneva artist James Vibert. Today the building houses the municipal library and a café.
Responsible for this content Chur Tourismus.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.