Freestanding houses are an extremely rare sight in Chur’s Old Town. The Obere Spaniöl is the oldest example of a manor house that departs from Chur’s usual style of terraced houses and, in its solitary position, has an imposing appearance. It was built for Captain Carl von Salis and his wife, Hortensia Gugelberg von Moos. Unfortunately the name of the architect of this twowinged building is unknown. Besides the interior, which displays a coffered ceiling dating from 1645 and a tower furnace from 1750, a particularly impressive feature is the arcade, leading to a beautiful terraced garden on the southern side of the building.
Responsible for this content Chur Tourism.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.